Ontario Northland's Unaccompanied Minor service ensures that children travelling alone receive the best of care, from the moment they board our transportation services until they reach their destination.
Unaccompanied Minor tickets cannot be purchased online. Tickets must be purchased at a station or agency.
Under certain conditions, your child may travel alone on our buses and Polar Bear Express Train. Unaccompanied Minor services are offered to children between the ages of 8 to 12 inclusive. By contacting our reservation line below, a parent or guardian may register and reserve their child’s trip 12 hours prior to departure with an Ontario Northland Customer Service Agent. At that time the Agent will explain our policy regulations, provide tips for travel and answer any of your questions.
With your child’s safety in mind, Ontario Northland has carefully selected trips that are available for unaccompanied children. For more information on select schedules, including fare prices please call our information and reservation line at 1.800.461.8558. Tickets for unaccompanied children are not sold online.
Ontario Northland strives to provide peace of mind to parents and their children travelling on our services. It is with great importance that parents/guardians and children ensure that all policy regulations are adhered to.
* Please refer to our Unaccompanied Minor Policy for further details.
Unaccompanied Minor Travel Tips:
- Reserve your trip 12 hours in advance.
- Arrive at station 30 minutes prior to departure to complete request for carriage form and purchase ticket.
- Ensure pick up arrangements for the child are confirmed with adult listed on the Request for Carriage form.
- Ensure parents/guardians and children all have proper identification indicating the full name and date of birth of each individual.
- Examples of identification to present include, but are not limited to:
- Birth Certificate/Birth Registration
- Driver’s Licence
- Status Card
- Bus/Transit Pass
- Student Card
- Residency Card
- Ensure child is aware of their responsibilities while traveling and that they must wait for instructions from Ontario Northland drivers and staff to meet parents/guardians at their destination station.
- Ensure child has sufficient funds to purchase snacks and beverages while traveling.
- Supply child with entertainment such as books, small hand held games, and other items that will help make their trip fun and keep them occupied.
- It’s always a good idea to provide child with calling card/mobile device in order to contact you and ensure they have parent/guardian contact numbers.
For more helpful tips and information on children traveling unaccompanied, please contact our info line at 1.800.461.8558.