POSITION: Conductor Trainees
REPORTS TO: Manager of Train Service
DEPARTMENT: Rail Transportation
LOCATION: Home Terminal – Englehart or Cochrane – to be established based on operating requirements.
WHO WE ARE:
The Ontario Northland Transportation Commission (ONTC) is an Agency of the Province of Ontario that provides efficient and vital transportation services. We employ over 750 skilled professionals and are over 110 years old and proud of our heritage and connection to the communities we serve. We are focused on moving forward with the goal of being a valued leader in transportation for the next 100 years. We offer competitive salary, excellent benefits and pension. Conductor Trainee is an excellent opportunity to start a career and be a part of delivering essential transportation services to Northern Ontario.
Conductor Trainees will work alongside two or three person train crews in a safety-focused, supportive work environment, ensuring the safe arrival of passengers and freight to its destination. Whether it’s switching cars, splitting, or moving cars between yards, sidings or tracks, Conductors keep us moving. Conductor Trainee is an entry-level union position that can lead to career growth as a Yard Foreperson, Conductor, Locomotive Engineer or Management positions.
- Coordination and supervision of passenger and freight train crew activities to ensure train operations remain on schedule and are in accordance with Canadian Rail Operating Rules (CROR)
- Ensure train orders are received in good order, in accordance with CROR and effectively communicate the orders to brakemen/women, locomotive engineer and other crew members
- Handling the switching of cars, including coupling and uncoupling cars and able to lift out coupling device
- Ride moving equipment by hanging onto grab irons or ladder, sometimes for extended periods of time
- Communicate with train crew members by radio, signals or by other means to give and receive train operation information
- Collect fares on board passenger trains, announce approaching train stops, answer passenger enquiries and assist passengers on and off the train
- Ensure customer satisfaction and achieve efficient operations
- Placing warning flares and flags appropriately to provide protection by and communicate to other trains in an emergency situation
- Fill out forms including train orders and switch lists and prepares required clear and legible reports
- Grade 12 diploma (OSSD) or General Educational Development (GED)
- Must pass physical, hearing and visual examinations as well as pre-employment drug/alcohol testing
- Previous experience as a conductor will be considered an asset
- Must be able to work out doors in extreme weather conditions and to travel over rough terrain
- Valid G driver’s license
- May be required to lift up to 80 lbs
- Travel frequently and be away from home for extended periods of time
- May be on call 24 hours per day, 7 days per week
- Ability to certify in Canadian Rail Operating Rules (CROR)
- Good decision making skills will be considered an asset
- Commitment to Company Health and Safety
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to successfully complete Conductor training
NOTE: All Ontario Northland employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment in accordance with Ontario Northland’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
These opportunities are identified as permanent, but the successful applicants may be subject to seasonal layoff.
CLOSING DATE: December 12, 2021 no later than 11:59 p.m. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Qualified individuals are invited to apply in writing with a current covering letter and resume (provided in one document), stating reference name and number to:
Ontario Northland is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources.
Pour des renseignements en français composez le 1.800.363.7512 poste 494.