POSITION: Financial Accountant
REPORTS TO: Controller
LOCATION: North Bay
WHO WE ARE:
Ontario Northland Transportation Commission (ONTC) is an Agency of the Province of Ontario that provides efficient and vital transportation services. We employ over 750 skilled professionals and are over 120 years old and proud of our heritage and connection to the communities we serve. We are focused on moving forward with the goal of being a valued leader in transportation. We offer competitive salary, excellent benefits, a defined benefit pension plan, paid vacation, 3 paid personal leave days along with discounted transportation on our bus and passenger rail services.
Under the direction of the Controller, the Financial Accountant is responsible to support the achievement of the organization's objectives through performance of financial reporting, internal audit, internal control, and cash management processes and activities.
MAJOR DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct period-end close procedures, including preparation of journal entries while maintaining compliance with internal controls over financial reporting
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual account reconciliations – ensuring multiple sets of records are in agreement and balance to our accounting system
- Stay up to date with PSAB accounting standard changes and bring forward any changes that affect our accounting processing and reporting
- Support external audit requests for information pertaining to financial reporting
- Calculate and prepare monthly information returns such as HST and QST
- Support the development and establishment of internal controls spanning all areas of finance operations, to support the achievement of ONTC's objectives
- Perform, report and monitor testing of internal controls and make recommendations for remediation where deficiencies are noted
- Support the management of cash and equivalents and required borrowing using established cash management policies
- Monitor foreign currency exposure, and make recommendations to address related risk as needed
- Assist with month-end and year-end consolidation and financial reporting based on PSAB requirements
- Perform special assignments and other duties as required by the Controller and the Director of Finance
- University degree or college diploma in Business Administration or related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- CPA designation is an asset
- Strong understanding of public sector accounting principles and full cycle accounting processes
- Internal audit / audit procedure knowledge and ability to design and perform audit procedures
- 1 to 3 years of experience in similar role
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical abilities, and a strong attention to detail
- Must possess strong computer skills (advanced Excel) and experience in manipulating data
- Organizational and time management skills, including balancing multiple priorities and tasks while meeting strict deadlines
- AS400/Infinium and Sequel or other “query” based computer software training are a definite asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must have good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a team oriented, collaborative environment
- Must be committed to Company Health and Safety standards and expectations
- Knowledge of Rail, Motor Coach, and Remanufacturing industries is an asset
NOTE: All Ontario Northland employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment in accordance with Ontario Northland’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal Record Check
- Employment references
- Education verification
CLOSING DATE: May 22, 2022 no later than 11:59 p.m. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Qualified individuals are invited to apply in writing with a current covering letter and resume (provided in one document), stating reference name and number to:
Ontario Northland is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources.
Pour des renseignements en français composez le 1.800.363.7512 poste 494.