POSITION: Law Clerk
REPORTS TO: General Counsel
DEPARTMENT: Legal Services & Corporate Governance
LOCATION: North Bay
SALARY RANGE: $66,092 - $77,769
WHO WE ARE:
Ontario Northland Transportation Commission (ONTC) is an Agency of the Province of Ontario that provides efficient and vital transportation services. We employ over 750 skilled professionals and are over 110 years old and proud of our heritage and connection to the communities we serve. We are focused on moving forward with the goal of being a valued leader in transportation for the next 100 years. We offer competitive salary, excellent benefits, a defined benefit pension plan, paid vacation, 3 paid personal leave days along with discounted transportation on our bus and passenger rail services.
Under the direction of the General Counsel, the Law Clerk is responsible for providing confidential support to Legal Services.
MAJOR DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with the preparation and finalization of commercial contracts, including large construction contracts
- Be the administrator for the contract management system and create required reports to track status of contracts
- Manage requests for services made by internal and external clients
- Provide support for litigation and third party claims including obtaining incident reports, reporting to the insurer and managing document disclosure
- Provide support to Legal Counsel with respect to the corporation’s insurance program, including assisting with annual renewals and obtaining insurance certificates from the insurance broker as required
- Maintain all filing systems for the department, including hard and electronic files
- Coordinate and provide support for corporate related department activities, for example annual reports, budget process, department workplan and reporting activities
- Provide other support and assistance to Legal Services & Corporate Governance as required
- College diploma from a law clerk or legal assistant program or equivalent program or experience
- Experience working in a law firm or in house legal department. A minimum of two years’ experience is preferred, however exemplary candidates with less experience may be considered
- Knowledge, experience and learned skills in a broad range of legal practice areas, including litigation or commercial contracts.
- Knowledge or the ability to obtain knowledge of a variety of commercial agreements relating to goods and services and ability to assist with preparation of agreements
- Knowledge of legal practices and procedures, terminology, legal processes, document preparation and legal office procedures
- Knowledge of file management best practices and ability to organize and maintain hard and electronic records
- Superior interpersonal skills and the ability to create working relationships with people at all levels of the organization
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Above average ability to use a variety of software programs, including Office 365, and adapt to new software systems
- Independent self-starter with excellent time management and problem solving skills
- Experience working in the public sector would be an asset
- Experience working with railways, public transportation and/or manufacturing would be an asset
NOTE: All Ontario Northland employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment in accordance with Ontario Northland’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
CLOSING DATE: January 23, 2022 no later than 11:59 p.m. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Qualified individuals are invited to apply in writing with a current covering letter and resume (provided in one document), stating reference name and number to:
Ontario Northland is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources.
Pour des renseignements en français composez le 1.800.363.7512 poste 494.