REPORTS TO: Director, Transportation Services
DEPARTMENT: Rail Transportation
WHO WE ARE:
Ontario Northland Transportation Commission (ONTC) is an Agency of the Province of Ontario that provides efficient and vital transportation services. We employ over 750 skilled professionals and are over 120 years old and proud of our heritage and connection to the communities we serve. We are focused on moving forward with the goal of being a valued leader in transportation. We offer competitive salary, excellent benefits, a defined benefit pension plan, paid vacation, 3 paid personal leave days along with discounted transportation on our bus and passenger rail services.
The Manager Train Service is a key position in Ontario Northland’s Rail Division who is responsible for monitoring all rail operations along its territory ensuring compliance with operating rules and regulations. Responsibilities also include a variety of reporting duties related to train operations and freight customer support.
MAJOR DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leading people with clear direction and goals and providing coaching or guidance to employees through regular monitoring of employee performance
- Oversight of day-to-day train operations to ensure safety, efficiency, and customer service
- Ensuring compliance with operating rules and special instructions to guarantee safe, efficient and satisfactory operating practices are being maintained
- Investigating accidents, incidents, preparing reports, working with the Manager Rail Safety, Rules, and Regulatory affairs and recommending any disciplinary action
- Responding to derailments, or train operations accidents on the territory and system if required
- Maintaining effective contact with shippers/customers
- Participating in making or recommending train service design changes, based on customer requirements or changes to operating plan
- All collective agreement concerns involving the territory
- On call 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, working irregular work hours, including nights and weekends
- Travel territory regularly
- Secondary School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
- Minimum of five years of experience in rail operations, with preference given to fully qualified locomotive engineers and/or conductors
- Previous supervisory or management experience preferred
- Demonstrated leadership and customer service skills
- Must be committed to Company Health and Safety standards and willing to practice and apply rules and operating procedures with all staff
- Experience in the interpretation and application of Collective Agreement(s)
- Computer literate with proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Must be an energetic self-starter with the ability to work autonomously
- Must be able to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances and be able to manage efficiently in stressful situations
- Team oriented with the ability to motivate others in order to achieve set objectives
- Results focused, having the ability to give clear direction and to prioritize daily tasks
- Dedicated to getting the job done safely, efficiently, to the satisfaction of both internal and external customers
- Meet all medical fitness for duty requirements in accordance with the Transport Canada requirements for Safety Critical Positions
- Must be able to lift up to 75 lbs. to waist height
- Familiar with geographic territory of Ontario Northland
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Project a positive and helpful image at all times
NOTE: All Ontario Northland employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment in accordance with Ontario Northland’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal Record Check
- Employment references
- Education verification
CLOSING DATE: Ongoing until position is filled. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Qualified individuals are invited to apply in writing with a current covering letter and resume (provided in one document), stating reference name and number.
Ontario Northland is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources.