POSITION: Railway Car Technician - 268R Apprenticeship
REPORTS TO: Equipment Supervisor
DEPARTMENT: Rail Mechanical
WHO WE ARE:
Ontario Northland Transportation Commission (ONTC) is an Agency of the Province of Ontario that provides efficient and vital transportation services. We employ over 750 skilled professionals and are over 110 years old and proud of our heritage and connection to the communities we serve. We are focused on moving forward with the goal of being a valued leader in transportation for the next 100 years. We offer competitive salary, excellent benefits, a defined benefit pension plan, paid vacation, 3 paid personal leave days along with discounted transportation on our bus and passenger rail services.
Railway Car Technicians inspect, maintain, repair, and remanufacture railway passenger cars, freight cars and their components.
MAJOR DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Inspects, troubleshoots, repairs and tests rail car equipment
- Performs preventative maintenance work
- Works from blueprints
- Uses hand tools and various testing devices and instruments
- Operates equipment such as overhead or mobile cranes and forklifts to assist with assignments
- Adapts to new methods, processes, material and equipment
- Follows prescribed safety procedures including the use of safety clothing and equipment
- May work various shifts and on weekends and some work outdoors in adverse weather
- Secondary School Diploma or General Educational Diploma (GED)
- Applicants will undergo the following evaluation tests which will be marked separately. The overall average of the marks must exceed 60% based on the following weighted criteria: 10% Education and Experience; 30% G3 TOWES; 30% Hands on Apparatus test; 30% Interview by Joint Apprenticeship Committee (JAC)
- Must be mechanically inclined
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Has knowledge of safety codes and has demonstrated ability to work in a safety conscious manner
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions and walk on rough terrain
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (oral & written)
- Must be committed to Company Safety and Health
- Must have a valid driver’s license
NOTE: All Ontario Northland employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment in accordance with Ontario Northland’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal Record Check
- Employment references
- Education verification
CLOSING DATE: May 25, 2022 no later than 11:59 p.m. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Qualified individuals are invited to apply in writing with a current covering letter and resume (provided in one document), stating reference name and number to:
Ontario Northland is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources.
Pour des renseignements en français composez le 1.800.363.7512 poste 494.