POSITION: Spare Express Freight Services Worker (Replacement)
REPORTS TO: Supervisor Express Freight
DEPARTMENT: Rail Transportation
WHO WE ARE:
Ontario Northland Transportation Commission (ONTC) is an Agency of the Province of Ontario that provides efficient and vital transportation services. We employ over 750 skilled professionals and are over 120 years old and proud of our heritage and connection to the communities we serve. We are focused on moving forward with the goal of being a valued leader in transportation. We offer competitive salary, excellent benefits, a defined benefit pension plan, paid vacation, 3 paid personal leave days along with discounted transportation on our bus and passenger rail services.
MAJOR DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains timely and accurate inventory records for Yard, Train & Express activities based on communication with operating crews and other external and internal customers
- Communicates with customers through personal contact and telephone, providing rates, shipping details and timelines including the preparation of waybills/reports and their subsequent delivery
- Performs warehouse duties ensuring local freight is placed for delivery and transship freight is dispatched to correct outbound cars (weighing up to 75 pounds)
- Weighs outgoing traffic at scale and ensures these details are correctly entered on waybills
- Loads and unloads customers’ prepaid vehicles on designated flat cars secured in accordance with current standards and collects revenue as required
- Loads and unloads customers’ baggage in designated baggage/line cars and baggage kiosks
- Customer Service Unit duties as required
- Janitorial responsibilities at the Cochrane Station, Express and Yard offices
- Performs above and such other duties as required by Management
- Secondary School Diploma or General Educational Development (GED)
- Must be able to lift up to 75 lbs
- Work outdoors in varying temperatures and weather conditions
- Preference will be given to qualified applicants who are fluent in (English, French and Cree).
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Sound working knowledge of computers and appropriate keyboarding skills.
- Available for shift work.
- Hold a valid driver’s license and be able to operate motorized warehouse equipment.
- Committed to Company Health and Safety standards and practices.
- Railway experience would be an asset.
NOTE: All Ontario Northland employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment in accordance with Ontario Northland’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal Record Check
- Employment references
- Education verification
CLOSING DATE: ongoing. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Qualified individuals are invited to apply in writing with a current covering letter and resume (provided in one document), stating reference name and number to:
Ontario Northland is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources.
Pour des renseignements en français composez le 1.800.363.7512 poste 494